Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Chiang Mai

Due to her natural knack for planning, Wendy has officially taken charge of our daytime activities in Chiang Mai for the rest of this week. We went zip-lining for the first time through Flight of the Gibbons, and now that I have done it, I know I could zipline all day without getting sick of it. Laughing hysterically, Wendy and I zoomed through a lush green rainforest just an hour north of Chiang Mai (near Mae Kompong). We spent a few hours doing this alongside a really good-humored young pair of newlyweds on their honeymoon from Brisbane, a cute elderly couple from Melbourne, a girl from Holland, and another pair of sisters from Chicago and Phoenix. Because our guides, Mr. B and Chaiyo, were so laid back and kept cracking jokes the entire time, it was hard not to have a fantastic time.

This rainforest is privately-owned land, and the man that started Flight of the Gibbons is from New Zealand. Part of the guide was learning about the various tea trees that grow on the land and the hard work that goes into collecting honey from some of the trees by the forest inhabitants. It's a forest that seems very well maintained, and according to their website, Flight of the Gibbons supports ecological education programs and funds a re-planting program to preserve Thailand’s native trees. Approximately 10% of their profits go toward rainforest rehabilitation and protecting the rare Gibbon ape. If interested and in the region, check out their website: http://www.treetopasia.com/. Pretty sure they have a branch near Pattaya and Bangkok, as well.

Tomorrow morning, we're heading back to the jungle, but this time to ride elephants. I know, I know. It's touristy...ugh. But, I'm hoping the agency my sister booked is at least part of an organization that helps sustain safe and healthy environments for these creatures. That's being optimistic; we'll see what we find. Tomorrow night should be interesting. Going to a local hangout called The Writer's Club and Wine Bar. Apparently, it's popular with local writers and journalists, especially on Friday nights. It's somewhat of a press club, so I'm sure we'll meet some colorful people there.

Over the last few months, several friends have teased me about the detail going into my posts. The reason why I list and name in so much detail is because I know people are going to ask for recommendations on things to do, places to go, and things to eat when they come to visit this region. I only feel that it's my duty to document as much as I can while I am here. When I studied in Siena and Hong Kong during my junior year of college, I hardly wrote anything in my journal, let alone was able to recall some of the names of places I stayed and ate at when my friends asked me upon returning back to the states. It's a shame because sometimes your memories do fade and your mind will fail you. I hope to look back on this trip, maybe when I'm old and grey, and be able to pull up vivid images of the experiences I'm having now at 26. Actually, I hope to always be open to doing something new and different even when I'm walking with a cane.

1 comment:

  1. Dubs, I just exhausted your debit card on "massages." Could you please deposit more $$$ in the account? I'm having too good a time to stop.

    ReplyDelete