Thursday, October 15, 2009

Idle hands are the devil's workshop...

There are now exactly two weeks left before I hop on a Boeing 747 to head to the first stop on my somewhat flexible itinerary, Bangkok. I almost regret booking the flight to be scheduled two day prior to Halloween, as my friends keep talking about their plans and costume ideas for this year's big event...even though the big event venue has yet to be determined. Halloween is always that holiday that creeps up on people. Too many times have I ended up scrounging for a costume last minute, paying way too much for plastic, durable for one night and one night only material that only covers up 30% of my body. As I have gotten older, I have decided that I no longer want to dress up as a sexy pirate, nor do I want to be something I bought at a pop-up store that makes more money on this one holiday than I probably have made all year. I guess I will be forced to come up with something more original when on my own in Bangkok those first two nights.

The title of this post reflects how I have been feeling over the last two weeks. My last day at work was Oct. 2nd, and since then, I have woken up around 8, 9, or 10 every morning. This is so different from the 6am time slot I have been programmed to wake up during every weekday for the last three years. With just a month to pack up my room (to prepare for my sub-leaser), research and secure accommodations for different pit stops in Thailand, read several travel books, purchase gear needed for the trip, get vaccinated for every mosquito-borne disease imaginable, among taking care of other logistics, I still feel uncomfortable with all the free time in between. I guess it's been a really long time since I have had a gap between working, going to school, and striving to complete something. I must admit it's been great not having any real responsibilities this month. I was out at dinner last night with my roommate and another friend, and it hit me that I wouldn't have to worry about going into work the next day. That meant I could have another glass of soju! I just felt a bit of freedom that's different from what you usually feel on a Friday or Saturday night. It was kind of nice. Not that I want to be unemployed or without a specific plan for a long time, but I guess I need to remind myself to enjoy this break for what it is and take advantage of the time I have to do the things I haven't been able to when I was a contributor to the corporate world.

I originally created this blog as a vehicle to share pictures, stories, traumas from traveling, but I find myself coming back to it more frequently to express my fears, anxieties, and excitement for what the future holds. What I'm saying is - I'm starting to understand why so many people blog.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your first blog, Winnie! Looking forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete