Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How could I ever sum up Bali in a blog post?

I can't. I can try, but I know I would not do this island justice. I simply don't want to leave. I'm regretting that I booked my flight to Hong Kong on the 10th. I guess that just means I'll have to come back at some point in the future...;)

Even though Aaron, Liana, and Samantha could not meet up with me (as hoped), I have enjoyed every minute of my time here.

I will write about my five days in Bali, but not just yet. Just wanted to post up a few pictures to give you an idea of what it's like. (I'll post more when in HK...blogger takes too much time to upload images.)

Enjoy!


In Kintamani, the village outside of Gunung Batur, the still active volcano...
Ceremony for the dead...

As my friend Liana would say, the "obnoxious" monkeys at Uluwatu temple in southern Bali...


Tanah Lot. Bagus turned out to be quite the photographer...

Many Indonesians make pilgrimages here throughout the year to visit the holy temple and springs...



Bagus and I were doused with holy water and a priest (?) placed small grains of rice on our foreheads as a sign of blessing...

Tanah Lot at Sunset...


Ubud....Bagus and I ended up driving all over one side of town looking for a woman named Wayan Nuriasih, the traditional Balinese healer from Elizabeth Gilbert's memoir Eat, Pray, Love. Her home was in this neighborhood...

I truly believe that the Balinese can balance anything, and I mean anything on their heads...

Across the street from my hotel in Jimbaran...



Two friendly fishermen who allowed me to get up close and personal...

A Balinese fisherman's livelihood...

The Keraton further down south of Jimbaran Bay...

The most beautiful woman in Bali. She was collecting shells to sell...
Dinner on the beach at Jimbaran's Langsam Cafe (you choose the size and type of seafood that you want grilled, caught fresh from the day's catch)...

Signature Balinese Kecak "Monkey" Dance and Gamelan music...

Coffee and tea sampling with mountain biking Aussies at a plantation near Kintamani...Ginseng coffee was particularly flavorful. Did not enjoy the civet cat poop coffee...

Wayan, our amicable cycling guide happily rolling a tobacco joint...


Before I took the photo of this 2 year-old girl, she was holding what looked like a mini-machete, assisting her grandma with making baskets for temple offerings...

Kids from Pejeng village...they seemed to be fond of shouting "allo (hello)!" and giving us high fives as we rode through...

No, I did not plan on matching the cycling gloves they gave us...



1 comment: