Sunday, January 31, 2010

This feels like limbo...

It's strange to think that I don't have to wake up at a certain time tomorrow, though I know I'll start to toss and turn before 7 - a biological default.

Mondays. They don't mean to me what they did just 4 months ago.

Since I no longer have a steady stream of income that accompanies a safety net of health, vision, dental insurance, pre-taxed bus passes, and bonus checks at the end of every excruciating sales quarter, it's safe to assume that I'll be making a few lifestyle changes. No longer will I be eager to spend over $30 a meal at a trendy new restaurant listed in the City Dish newsletter I receive in my inbox every week. It's likely that I'll take a few more minutes than usual to weigh how much I really need or want to attend the latest headliner at the Fillmore next Thursday night. I've started to conserve the number of text messages I send, seeing that I've gone over the 400 monthly limit T-Mobile allows on my plan for the last year. I've even considered, heaven forbid (and no pun intended), canceling my monthly membership at the JCC on Cal and Presidio to save the $99/mon. while unemployed. I mean - I have legs. I know how to use them. I have a bike, and I know how to ride it. Maybe this unemployed me will lead to a healthier me. Less excess. More simplifying. Consuming only what I need. There's that positive thinking again.

With the substantial amount of time that I'll now have during the day, I've begun to develop a solid reading list. My sister Wendy, who came back for my aunt's funeral yesterday, might be one of the most offensive gift givers I've ever met. One year, she gave me a Garden State DVD for Christmas. It would have been a great gift, except for the fact that I knew she had two versions of the movie perched on her bookshelf in Brooklyn and was giving me the one she received from a friend most recently. Last night, she told me she had two new books for me. One was Mountains Beyond Mountains, and the other was What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami. That's funny, I thought. She already gave me the latter last year for my birthday! How quickly she forgot. I could not stop laughing, even as she refused to believe that she had already given me the memoir. Anyway, having registered for the Chinatown Year of the Tiger 10K next month and the Oakland Running Festival in late March, many of my mornings between now and then will begin with a long run, or so I plan. I'm hoping the Murakami memoir is going to provide inspiration as did both of Dean Karnazes' titles when I read them in 2008.

2 comments:

  1. I think you'll enjoy the lean life. I definitely found myself getting in better shape and not eating out as often.

    Also I read a record number of books in the past year.


    But at the same time I kinda turned into a hermit. So watch out for that!

    Let me know if you wanna go rock climbing sometime. I go a lot during mornings to noon on the weekdays. Or even to meet up get coffee and have a blog session. I need to get my ass on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, it's been a while. Yes, I am always up for activities. Rock climbing would definitely be up there. Bladium again, like last time? Or maybe we can go to the one by Hopper Hands...been there once, it's not bad.

    Give me a call, I've got an open schedule (usually). We have a lot to catch up on. :)

    ReplyDelete