Sunday, December 20, 2009

Mosquito-borne Illness? Check

Having had an ongoing fever, chills, sweats, a splitting headache, pain beneath my eyes for the last 72 hours, a friend of mine convinced me that I should go to see a doctor. I went to one of the international hospitals in Ho Chi Minh City this afternoon, and it turns out, I may have Dengue Fever. The doctor gave me a cocktail of drugs for the pain, stuck oxygen tubes up my nose (apparently, the oxygen levels in my body were too low), and took some blood. He said it looked like a case of Dengue due to results of the influenza test coming back negative and the fact that my bloodwork shows a viral disease. Funny thing is, I've been joking about the chances of getting Malaria this entire time, with all the mosquito bites I've acquired...

The doctor sent me back to my hotel armed with Paracetamol Codeine and told me to come back on Tuesday morning for more bloodwork to be done to confirm.

In case you're curious about Dengue Fever, check out the wiki page for details on the virus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever

Originally, I thought the fever was a symptom of an oncoming flu or the result of altitude sickness from being up in the highlands north of Sapa last week. I thought it could be due to insufficient sleep I've been getting the last few weeks, the bitter cold that I was unprepared for during the overnight homestay in the Ta Van Village, or just my immune system telling me that it was exhausted from moving from one city to another. Eating out every day for two months can't be all that healthy for you either. Needless to say, I'm going to take it easy here for the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. Feel bettter Dubs, at the very least Milk the Codine script. Take it easy, and get well.

    ReplyDelete